To arouse oneself from the state of sleep and take the first step toward liberation, one must attain a thorough understanding of the meaning of the Permanent Witness (or Ego-Consciousness) and see in that it differs from mere brain-consciousness.
We shall then be able to understand hoe this personal conscience, though it needs to be awakened, is nevertheless a part of Personality whose aims are in general opposed to those of the Spiritual Self.
The Personality wants:
• Continuity on earth
• The relative values of this temporary existence
• Intellectual information put at the service of worldly interests (a social, scientific, or commercial career)
• Mediocrity – since rash extremes can never expect to win public approval and gain social and worldly advantage
• Utilitarianism, meaning everything that fits in with mundane computation and logical reason
The Spiritual Witness on the other hand, desires:
• To unite with the human and thus transmute it into an immortal being
• Absolute values which are indestructible
• To open the “heart” to intuitive knowledge
• The sense of excess, as a springboard from which to overleap human limitations and convert the fall of man into an opportunity of evolution
• Unalterable love of reality
• Love of life for its own sake
• Love of impersonal Love