We are thrilled to announce that Gaiam has been nominated for Green Business of the Year by Co-Op America. We’re among just 10 green businesses vying for the 2008 People’s Choice Award in a contest that is “a celebration of the leaders of the green economy, and a challenge to corporate America to follow their path.”
To be considered for this prestigious award, a company must be qualified by Co-Op America as one that works to help, not hurt, people, communities, and the planet. Why do we think we’re worthy? Our commitment to environmental and social responsibility shows in our green business choices and giving-back programs including:
- Shrinking carbon footprints via our Go Zero program
- Reducing our paper trail
- Committing to eco-friendly materials like organic cotton
- Seeking out innovative DVD eco-packaging
- Building markets for fair trade via One World by Gaiam
- Supporting programs like Heifer International and Earth Day for Kids by donating a portion of sales of our Thoughtful Tees
- Greening our headquarters in Boulder with features including a solar electric system that will generate more than 4 million kWh over 30 years, saving the equivalent of 8,600 barrels of oil; renewable materials including bamboo flooring, recycled furnishings and low-VOC paints; an advanced zero waste program (we don’t just recycle, we compost!); and our new on-site employee cafeteria, emphasizing organic and locally grown foods and reducing lunchtime driving and auto emissions.
We’re honored to be nominated for Co-Op America People’s Choice Award for Green Business of the Year, and even more excited to share the news with you! We’d love to have your support. Cast your vote at the Co-Op America site. Voting ends on October 9, so click now to weigh in!