- Gaiam Blog - http://blog.gaiam.com -
5 Ways to Manage Holiday Stress
Posted By Tanja Djelevic On December 8, 2008 @ 12:01 am In Fitness, Health & Wellness, Personal Growth | 3 Comments
When we’re stressed we overeat. We have a hard time sleeping. These reactionary ways of dealing with stress are usually automatic — and they put even more stress on your body in the long run. But you can take a proactive approach to stress management  this holiday. Try one or more of these five steps I’ve seen help my clients the most:
1. Find an exercise program you enjoy doing. If you actually enjoy the workout, part of the stress relief has already taken place. Create, or get help creating, a program based on 2-3 resistance or weight workouts per week and 3-5 cardio workouts .
2. Start doing breathing exercises  2-3 times a day. Breathing  is the only voluntary action (that we can control) that helps calm the nervous system physiologically. It helps the body find balance in stressful situations .
3. Meditate  a few times a week. It can be a guided meditation , or it can be simply quietly sitting while listening your favorite music or in any quiet place. It doesn’t have to be more mysterious than that.
4. Delete unhealthy foods from your diet. This means processed foods, refined sugars, too much caffeine, etc. They’re stressful for your entire system. Treat your body well with healing foods  such as fresh organic fruits and vegetables  and lean meats. And boost your metabolism by eating small meals  every three hours.
5. Give to others. One of the most powerful ways to heal yourself, get stress relief and feel joy is to give, give, give. Whether you choose to support good causes , lend an ear to someone in need or open the door to your fellow man, they key is to give an every-day gift!
Get out there and Live as Loud as you can!!
Article printed from Gaiam Blog: http://blog.gaiam.com
URL to article: http://blog.gaiam.com/5-simple-ways-to-manage-holiday-stress-for-the-holidays/
URLs in this post:
 stress management: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Stress-Relief-Tips-from-Mayo-Clinic.html
 resistance or weight workouts : http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Secrets-of-Successful-Strength-Training.html
 cardio workouts: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/CardioStrengthFlex.html
 breathing exercises: http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/de-stress-in-10-minutes-audio-download-how-to/
 Breathing: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Desk-Yoga-Breathe-Out-Stress.html
 stressful situations: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/3-Techniques-to-Dissolve-Stress-Fast-No-Yoga-Required.html
 Meditate: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Why-Meditate-Science-Finds-Clues.html
 guided meditation: http://www.gaiam.com/product/meditation+for+beginners+dvd.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 healing foods: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Healthy-Eating.html
 organic fruits and vegetables: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Why-Organics-Are-Better-For-Your-Health.html
 boost your metabolism by eating small meals: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/EatingGuidetoBoostEnergyandMetabolism.html
 support good causes: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Giving-Back.html
Copyright © 2007 Gaiam Community Blog. All rights reserved.