How much more productive would you be if you could clear your mind by opening your body? If you sit at a desk all day, taking periodic breaks to move your body can counteract chronic “desk slump” and reduce stress and muscle tension.
Since yoga is all about balance, it is the perfect tool for creating a happy, stress-free body. When your body is in this state, your mind is more focused, making you a more productive and valuable employee.
In order to bring the body into balance and increase blood flow and oxygenation, do the following desk yoga routine at least once a day. Need a reminder? Write yourself a Post-it note! I’ll bet you have some in your desk…
Desk yoga poses
1. Shoulder Rolls: To release tension in your shoulders and upper back, shrug your shoulders towards your ears and roll them back down your back a few times. Repeat, rolling your shoulders forward.
2. Wrist Openers: These will combat carpal tunnel syndrome as well as arm and shoulder tension. Click here for a how-to.
3. Neck Rolls: To relieve tension in your neck, drop your right ear to your right shoulder, then roll your neck in a few slow circles. Repeat on the left side, rolling in the opposite direction.
4. Seated Pigeon: Use this pose to counter tight hips from long hours spent sitting. Click here to learn Seated Pigeon.
5. Seated Twists: Use these exercises to wring out the spine and increase energy and vitality. Click here for a video tutorial.