As we move deeper into fall, the days are shorter. While I hate to see my evening light end, it will make it easier to get the boys in bed! What I dread most is the morning darkness. It makes it so hard to get out of bed, particularly when I try to fit in “me” time before the kids wake up. In my house, that means getting up pretty early, unfortunately!
These are my “must do’s” so that I can pull myself out of my cozy bed:
- Go to bed. Ha! I know that is easier said than done, but I’ve learned that I have to choose what is more important: my favorite late-night TV show or fitting in more quality “me” time in the morning. Besides, you can always DVR your favorite show and watch it one morning when you don’t have a workout planned, which brings me to…
- Get up early every day. The best way to ensure I can get up easily is to get up at the same time every morning. On non-workout days, find something else to stimulate you. Read, if it won’t make you fall asleep again, particularly something that might motivate you. Catch up on the news, surf the web, finish up some work, etc.
- Set an alarm clock that uses light, not noise, to wake you up. There are some awesome ones out there, like this one from Gaiam that wakes you up with light that gradually brightens, as if the sun were rising right next to your bed. It gives the illusion (however brief) that it’s light enough to get up. If you don’t have or can’t find one like this, it’s also nice to wake to low-volume talk radio rather than loud (too jarring) or even relaxing (just puts me back to sleep!) music. The talking makes it seem like there are people already up in the other room.
- Prep the coffee pot the night before. Nothing says “time to get up” to me than fresh-brewed coffee. Because I can barely open my eyes early in the a.m., it’s doubly hard to try to get up and make the pot! So prepping it ahead of time is essential. It doesn’t hurt to have your mug and sugar spoon close at hand either.
- Lay out whatever is needed for a workout: clothes, the DVD, the tools. If it’s sitting right there in front of me, it’s hard to ignore it and skip the workout.
If you want to catch the “workout worm,” you gotta be an early bird!
The FIRM Master Instructor Team blog is shared courtesy of The FIRM Believers Club, an online community that helps you reach your fitness goals. With maximum-efficiency home workouts, support and motivation from The FIRM Master Instructors, daily tips, personalized workout rotation calendars, and access to other members through discussion boards, The FIRM Believers Club provides all the tools you need to get in the shape you want.