- Gaiam Blog - http://blog.gaiam.com -
Top 10 Yoga Trends for 2009: Are They Here to Stay?
Posted By Jill Miller On December 24, 2009 @ 12:00 pm In Conscious Living News, Fitness, Yoga | 8 Comments
We are closing our decade, and it’s time to take a look back at 2009 and the amazing year of growth in our U.S. yoga community. One thing is for certain: Despite the economy and the recession, there was constant growth and expansion in the yoga world !
My colleagues reported that classes  were fuller than ever, with flocks of new and returning students seeking solace in their nurturing yoga communities around the country. I also met many folks who had been laid off and decided to turn their passion for yoga into a new career change . After a lot of soul searching, they enrolled in teacher training  programs to pursue a craft that truly feeds their spirit.
It has been an inspiring year on so many levels, and I have listed 10 trends below that I have seen firmly taking hold in the U.S. All are welcome additions to the evolution of yoga. It is by no means complete, so please chime in below in the comments to fill in your favorites!
1. Yoga activism organizations are proliferating, helping to bring social change to the world and helping out communities in need. Seane Corn’s  Off the Mat, Into the World  is an organization that helps teachers build communities around activism and social change. Yoga Gives Back  provides micro-finance to India. And Make a Difference Worldwide  provides hands-on-help in impoverished communities worldwide.
3. Local festivals like Ojai Yoga Crib  on Ojai, Calif., Wanderlust Festival  in Lake Tahoe, Telluride Yoga Festival  in Colorado, and EvloveFest  in New Jersey help us to continue to grow, learn and build a sense of community.
5. Kirtan is exploding more than ever, with Jai Uttal performing at Chant4Change  during Obama’s inauguration and BhaktiFest  in Joshua Tree. Bhakti Yoga Shala  opened as a yoga studio entirely devoted to Kirtan in Santa Monica, and Lady Gaga even has a Kirtan riff in her hit song “Bad Romance ” … Can you hear it?
6. Yoga therapy  modalities are growing as teachers seek continuing education and specialization. Explore Gary Kraftsow’s Viniyoga , Leslie Kaminoff’s Breathing Project  and my very own Yoga Tune Up® . Check out more info at the International Association of Yoga Therapists .
7. Proliferation of in-depth local yoga media — like LA Yoga and Ayurveda Magazine , Yoga Chicago , Yoga Living Magazine  in Philadelphia and New York Yoga Magazine  — help yogis  find great studios and events.
8. Great yoga bloggers keep us informed and connected. Some of my favorites are Elephant Journal , Dr. Kelly McGonigal  and Joni Young’s Accidental Yogist  (who covers anything and everything about the massive LA yoga scene — and does it all on her lime green bike)! In NYC, Yoga Dork  is witty, cutting-edge and entertaining. And of course, there’s the blog you’re reading  now!
9. Green yoga studios raise our eco-consciousness: Home Simply Yoga  in Santa Monica, Green Yoga House  in Des Moines, Iowa, Yoga Now Chicago  in Chicago, and Blue Lotus  in Raleigh, N.C.
10. There have been serious groundbreaking studies in yoga research — a trend that I truly hope continues to evolve to inform us for the next several decades. Special thanks to Dr. Lorin Fishman for his studies on yoga and osteoporosis , Richard Miller, Ph.D., and his studies with soldiers and Yoga Nidra , and the pioneering brain research being conducted through Kripalu’s Institute  for Extraordinary Living.
Please fill in your favorite trends and outlets below, and let us all continue to nurture yoga’s contributions to our personal health and to society. May we serve, play, prosper and thrive! Wishing you and your loved ones a joyous holiday season and a blissful New Year!
Article printed from Gaiam Blog: http://blog.gaiam.com
URL to article: http://blog.gaiam.com/top-10-yoga-trends-for-2009-are-they-here-to-stay/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.yogatuneup.com/yoga-teacher-training
 yoga world: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Yoga-Answers-and-Solutions-Goto-Guide.html
 classes: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Finding-the-Best-Yoga-Class-for-You.html
 passion for yoga into a new career change: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Pink-Slip-to-Bliss-Job-Loss-Leads-One-Woman-to-Find-Herself-Through-Yoga.html
 Image: http://makeadifferenceworldwide.org/IOP.html
 Seane Corn’s: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/MeetSeaneCorn.html
 Off the Mat, Into the World: http://www.offthematintotheworld.org/
 Yoga Gives Back: http://yogagivesback.org/
 Make a Difference Worldwide: http://makeadifferenceworldwide.org/index.html
 YogaMates: http://www.yogamates.com/
 LoveYoga: http://www.loveyoga.com/
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yoga-Tune-UpR/88854436554?ref=ts
 Image: http://www.lulubandhas.com/lulubandhas/ojaiyogacrib/
 Wanderlust Festival: http://www.wanderlustfestival.com/
 Telluride Yoga Festival: http://www.tellurideyogafestival.com/
 EvloveFest: http://www.evolvefest.org/
 online yoga: http://www.gaiamyogaclub.com/?utm_source=Gaiam%2BLife&utm_medium=Blog&utm_campaign=Rodneys%2BBlog
 Yogaglo: http://www.yogaglo.com/
 Lulubandhas: http://www.lulubandhas.com/
 YogaVibes: http://www.yogavibes.com/
 Chant4Change: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zn4XO3U4g
 BhaktiFest: http://www.westcoastkirtanyogafestival.com/
 Bhakti Yoga Shala: http://www.bhaktiyogashala.com/
 Bad Romance: http://www.ladygaga.com/badromance/defaultdb.aspx
 Yoga therapy: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Yoga-Therapy-The-Next-Wave-in-Yoga.html
 Viniyoga: http://viniyoga.com/
 Breathing Project: http://breathingproject.org/
 Yoga Tune Up®: http://www.yogatuneup.com/
 International Association of Yoga Therapists: http://www.iayt.org/
 Image: http://www.layogamagazine.com/content/index.php
 Yoga Chicago: http://www.yogachicago.com/
 Yoga Living Magazine: http://yogalivingmagazine.com/
 New York Yoga Magazine: http://www.nyyogamagazine.com/
 yogis: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/QUIZ-What-Kind-of-Yogi-Are-You.html
 Elephant Journal: http://www.elephantjournal.com/
 Dr. Kelly McGonigal: http://groundingthruthesitbones.blogspot.com/
 Joni Young’s Accidental Yogist: http://blog.accidentalyogist.com/
 Yoga Dork: http://www.yogadork.com/
 the blog you’re reading: http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/author/jillmiller/
 Home Simply Yoga: http://homesimplyyoga.com
 Green Yoga House: http://www.greenyogahouse.com
 Yoga Now Chicago: http://www.yoganowchicago.com/index.html
 Blue Lotus: http://www.bluelotusnc.com/
 yoga and osteoporosis: http://sciatica.org/
 Yoga Nidra: http://www.irest.us/
 Kripalu’s Institute: http://www.kripalu.org/article/407
Copyright © 2007 Gaiam Community Blog. All rights reserved.