Hurray, we made it! With the vernal equinox today, spring is finally here — and I’m in my element! I adore a big spring clean in every sense of the word … breathing fresh new life into everything from my bedroom to my outlook.
People have recognized the vernal equinox for thousands of years with cultural rituals and traditions surrounding the coming of spring. The early Egyptians oriented the Sphinx so that it points directly toward the rising sun on the day of the vernal equinox. While I can’t top that, I am quite happy to bid farewell to winter; I feel like one of the little buds on the trees aching for the sun! So I usher it in very consciously with my own spring equinox rituals …
1. Change all the bedding from winter’s heavy comforters in browns, reds and oranges to lightweight blankets in creams, greens and blues mixed with some turquoise and orange (the color of 2012) for pop! In my bedroom’s latest spring-green incarnation, I used …
- An antique quilt as a wall hanging.
- Eco-friendly organic bedding from Gaiam, ABC Home, John Robshaw and High Dessert Naturals.
- New sheers around my canopy bed in a hemp/silk/organic cotton blend, from PickNatural.com.
- Rugs in natural wool and silk, from Loomful of Hues.
3. Go all-out with nontoxic cleaning and weed out old stuff that’s broken or no longer serves me.
4. Open the windows wide and let my home breathe in the fresh clean air. Spring is my favorite time to deeply breathe in nature’s fragrances!
5. Lighten up personally, too, by eating fresh spring foods and doing conscious breathing techniques (Nauli breath is great for detoxification), Sun Salutations, and maybe a little emotional spring-cleaning!
Happy new beginnings!
A little Madness in the Spring
Is wholesome even for the King.
– Emily Dickinson