For a quick-and-easy side dish with a kick, sauté up this healthy Mediterranean broccoli recipe from the Gaiam Café kitchen. For a slightly different take, try adding the broccoli as a topping to pizza before cooking, then drizzle with the yogurt sauce before serving.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ jalapeno pepper, cut into slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- ¼ cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
Yogurt sauce ingredients
- 1 8-oz. container of Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp. ground fennel
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 lemons, juiced, zest from one
- ¼ tsp. coriander, dry (optional)
Heat a medium-sized sauté pan on medium heat. Add the broccoli and a few tsp. of olive oil, turning the broccoli frequently. When the broccoli starts to brown, add the sliced jalapeno and garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Taste for doneness and seasoning, then add the sesame seeds and almonds. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce and serve immediately.
Yogurt sauce directions:
Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and taste for seasoning. Can be made up to two days in advance.
Previous recipe: Chicken and Dumplings