This zesty potato salad from the Gaiam Café kitchen is perfect for a late summer picnic or BBQ. And, since it’s made without mayo, it’s healthy, too!
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, roasted in oven
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 bunches scallion, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water by at least an inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the potatoes are just cooked through, about 12-14 minutes. Strain well in a colander and spread on a sheet pan to cool.
Add the onion, celery, red peppers, parsley, basil and scallion. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and gently toss. Serve immediately or keep cold in a refrigerator or ice-filled cooler, covered, for up to one day.