- Gaiam Blog - http://blog.gaiam.com -
Create Your Own Exercise Routine: It’s as Easy as 1-2-3
Posted By Kirsten Palmer On August 6, 2013 @ 3:35 pm In Fitness | 2 Comments
It’s not uncommon to hear people bemoan their inability to get to the gym, or more specifically, to get to their favorite group fitness class. Even worse, not making it to class means they probably won’t work out at all. But missing your regular class doesn’t mean you have to skip exercise altogether . You can get a great workout anytime, anywhere with the right workout plan in place. And it’s much simpler than you think to create one yourself!
1. Pick three exercises, one each for the lower body, upper body and core. Because you’re only doing one, choose something that targets multiple muscles at once; for example, lunges, push-ups and crunches with a twist (see variation below*). These are also good moves if you don’t have any fitness tools or props , as your body weight provides enough resistance. Plus, there are lots of ways to modify them for the sake of variety.
2. Instead of counting repetitions, perform each exercise for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat the three-exercise cycle three times through. In between each cycle, do 30 seconds of high-intensity cardio: sprints, jump rope, jumping jacks, plyometric jumps, etc.
That’s it! That’s all you need to do. Because the exercise routine uses the principles of high-intensity interval training , it’s less than 10 minutes long but highly effective for both cardiovascular health and fat-burning. However, if you complete this workout once and want more, you can repeat it and simply change up the exercises. Try a rotation without tools or props, and one with.
Of course, no matter how simple it is to create a workout, the real work comes not from the physical but the mental activity. Here are some tips to ensure success:
1. Lie on your back with your head, neck, shoulders and feet hovering above the floor, arms extended to the side from your shoulders.
2. Lift higher and crunch. Bend your right knee and bring it to your chest. At the same time, sweep your left arm in toward the knee bending at your elbow.
3. Release to the starting position (hovering, not resting) and repeat with the other knee and elbow.
Workout Videos 
Article printed from Gaiam Blog: http://blog.gaiam.com
URL to article: http://blog.gaiam.com/create-your-own-exercise-routine-its-as-easy-as-1-2-3/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://blog.gaiam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/exercise-routine.jpg
 skip exercise altogether: http://life.gaiam.com/article/5-ways-stay-motivated-exercise-regularly
 fitness tools or props: http://www.gaiam.com/home-fitness/4010000,default,sc.html?code=WG137SPRTAPEMACS&extcmp=life_prod
 high-intensity interval training: http://life.gaiam.com/article/faster-workouts-better-body-new-research-intervals-20-minute-photo-how
 don’t give yourself a choice: http://blog.gaiam.com/10-no-more-excuses-exercise-tips/
 workout clothes: http://www.gaiam.com/yoga-clothing-fitness-clothing/2010600,default,sc.html?code=WG137SPRTAPEMACS&extcmp=life_prod
 7 Essential Home Workout Tools: http://blog.gaiam.com/7-essential-home-workout-tools/
 Workout Videos: http://www.gaiam.com/workout-videos/4010700,default,sc.html?code=WG137SPRTAPEMACS&extcmp=life_prod
Copyright © 2007 Gaiam Community Blog. All rights reserved.