With only a couple days to go until Earth Day, prepare to get inundated with a billion things we can do — should do — to save our planet. Although there will likely be plenty of events to attend and planet-themed parties to enjoy, one of the best places you can celebrate Earth Day is in your own home!
If our homes are a reflection and expression of our lifestyles and values, then it makes sense that we start making conscious (i.e. green) choices at home. The issues affecting the Earth — from the oil crisis to water shortages to disappearing species — are complex, and can seem distant and insurmountable, but it is essential to understand the correlation between our everyday environments and our larger ecosystem. Everything and everyone is interconnected, and even the simplest act, such as turning the water off when we brush our teeth, creates positive change.
Simple ways to protect the planet from home
You’ve likely heard at least some of these before — so why aren’t you doing them yet?! This Earth Day, commit to taking these simple steps to green your home environment.
- Switch to non-toxic household cleaners and personal care products. There is a healthier, green option for almost every conventional product — just beware of greenwashing (even for soap!).
- Diminish your use of all plastics. Use glass for food items and carry cloth bags when grocery shopping. Become more aware of all plastic entering your home — it’s surprising how many items are wrapped in this ubiquitous material!
- Make the decision to finally change all your lighting to LED bulbs.
- When using any type of paint or varnish, make certain it is a no- or low-VOC version. Indoor air can be more than three times as polluted as outdoor air.
- Get some living plants. They purify the air and add a beautiful living element. The benefits are many!
- Buy organic whenever possible. Not only food, but sheets, towels and other household items. Be aware of chemicals and pesticides lurking in everyday things. Again, this market has grown tremendously and there are now loads of organic options for every area of your house.
Start with these small, home-based actions to create a green and loving living space. You’ll be protecting our home — the Earth — right from home! And that’s what green living is all about.
Happy Earth Day, Happy Every Day,