By The FIRM Master Instructor Emily Walsh
I have a new move that I LOVE and I have been doing in class lately. It’s actually a series of moves I call the Bodacious Burpee! It’s a good burn, and good cardio pump, and fun! Here is a little video how-to plus detailed instructions.
In the video I added a side lunge with abduction and a curl to balance it out!
You’ll be huffin’ and puffin’ after these, but you will love them! These are NOT for the beginner, so make sure you know your form and can perform the exercises well before attempting this.
- Start with 2 HEAVY dumbbells in your hands, ready for a squat.
- Squat: lower and lift back up to standing position.
- Squat and rest the dumbbells on the floor right to the sides of your feet — don’t let go!
- Jump out into plank position (or walk it out if you need to), keeping your hands on the dumbbells.
- Do a pushup, preferably on your toes if you can. If not, knees are OK.
- Jump your feet back to starting position with knees bent and glutes back — technically in a squat position.
- Stand and repeat by starting with a squat.
- Repeat 10 times. The 10th time, stay in the plank position after the push-up and do a set of mountain climbers. 20 reps on each leg!!
Use HEAVY weights so that you really burn your glutes, and make sure you have a good handle on the weights during burpee segment. Don’t let go of the weights! They go with you through every segment.
Have fun and let me know what you think!
The FIRM Master Instructor Team blog is shared courtesy of The FIRM Believers Club, an online community that helps you reach your fitness goals. With maximum-efficiency home workouts, support and motivation from The FIRM Master Instructors, daily tips, personalized workout rotation calendars, and access to other members through discussion boards, The FIRM Believers Club provides all the tools you need to get in the shape you want.