- Gaiam Blog - http://blog.gaiam.com -
6 Green Decorating Ideas that Don’t Take Lots of Green
Posted By Cheryl Terrace On December 9, 2008 @ 12:01 am In Eco Decorating, Green Living | 2 Comments
We all now have an opportunity (like it or not) to streamline our lives and derive greater joy from the things we already own. These green decorating ideas and resources will help you liven up a room for holiday guests 
or create a fresh new look once the holidays are over — all in ways that are kind to the planet.
I have always been in the “less is more” mindset, and I’ve found that there are many wonderful inexpensive ways to infuse new life into a home with eco-friendly decorating ideas and products . For example …
1. Something as simple as painting a drab dresser a beautiful color (with eco-paint of course; try yolocolorhouse.com  or afmsafecoat.com ) or using an old chair as a plant stand can transform the ho-hum to yum!
2. The haute bohemian sites trashluxe.com  and catherinehammertonshop.com  take recycling to a high art form. This is recycling at its best. The only requirement is creativity. Key words to look for in decor and furnishings: “Recycled” and “made from recycled materials.”
3. These days, recycle, reduce and reuse are not only conscious choices — they’re all the rage. I draw the line at dumpster diving, but there’s green décor galore at many thrift shops. Housing Works  in NYC is one of my absolute favorites. Proceeds go to helping people with HIV/AIDS.
4. I often help my clients rearrange and repurpose their belongings to make their space work better for them. For example, you can easily “brighten” a space by rewiring a lamp, replacing an ugly lampshade, or even making a lamp  from something cool. You can even transform old teacups into chic lighting !
6. Shop Freecycle , an organization that links people who want new-to-them stuff with people who want to get rid of stuff — free! Jump in and keep more stuff from entering landfills . If it’s not resellable or you can’t find a taker, go to Gaiam Life’s Recycling FAQ , Lime’s How to Recycle Everything  guide, or Earth911.com  for drop-off sites and other brilliant resources to help you practice the three Rs.
What defines a wonderful home is never about the newest, fanciest or most precious objects, but rather a space that reflects the unique personality of the homeowner. A home that supports wellness  is more important than ever, and saving lots of money certainly helps!
Article printed from Gaiam Blog: http://blog.gaiam.com
URL to article: http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/6-green-decorating-ideas-that-dont-take-lots-of-green/
URLs in this post:
 liven up a room for holiday guests: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/5-Holiday-Eco-Decorating-Tips.html
 eco-friendly decorating ideas and products: http://www.gaiam.com/category/eco-home-outdoor.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 Image: http://blog.gaiam.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dscn2094.jpg
 Image: http://blog.gaiam.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dscn2087.jpg
 yolocolorhouse.com: http://www.yolocolorhouse.com/
 afmsafecoat.com: http://www.afmsafecoat.com/
 trashluxe.com: http://www.trashluxe.com
 catherinehammertonshop.com: http://www.catherinehammertonshop.com/index.htm
 Housing Works: http://www.housingworks.org/
 making a lamp: http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Lamp
 transform old teacups into chic lighting: http://domestic-construction.com/for_the_home/
 rehabilitated dishes: http://www.sarahcihat.com
 Jason Miller: http://thefutureperfect.com/detail.php?id=175
 Freecycle: http://www.freecycle.org/
 keep more stuff from entering landfills: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/3WaystoSlashYourTrashZeroWasteIsRecycling20.html
 Recycling FAQ: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Recycling-FAQ.html
 How to Recycle Everything: http://www.lime.com/features/limes_guide_to_recycling
 Earth911.com: http://earth911.com/
 A home that supports wellness: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Healthy-Home.html
Copyright © 2007 Gaiam Community Blog. All rights reserved.