- Gaiam Blog - http://blog.gaiam.com -
Go Eco-Sexy in the Bedroom: 3 Rooms + 5 Essentials
Posted By Cheryl Terrace On February 12, 2009 @ 4:42 pm In Eco Decorating, Green Living | 2 Comments
Talk about sexy … eco comes in amazing color guaranteed to fan the fire. I love this organic cotton “Lucia” bedding ensemble from Gaiam
The bedroom is a place where we are embraced and held dearly, and where we get to be totally uninhibited. Yet all too often I see this room as one of the most neglected. Because it is our own private space, out of public view, it often tends to be the ‘catch all’ for projects, laundry and junk.
Since I believe that everything is energy and that rooms are “living,” I like to have my clients think of their bedrooms as they would think of a special lover — infused with magic and mystery and a sensuous quality. For both married and single people, this should be a place where you feel safe, loved and taken care of. I envision my bedroom as beautiful welcoming arms embracing me after a full day on the urban battlefield; I adore my sexy eco love nest (photo below!).
Try these easy and eco-conscious ideas for transforming a bland boudoir into a bodacious abode:
Jane and Matt’s ‘URBAN ZEN’ TRIBECA LOFT: Organic cotton blanket, bamboo bedding, capiz shell chandelier, antique red Asian-influence tables, and abstract wall art from anneraymond.com
1. Sexy feel-good eco-friendly bedding in luscious colors . Just thinking of fields bursting forth with organic cotton blooms and bamboo stalks that grow a foot a day is enough to get anyone in the mood for a mating ritual. And I mean “feel-good” in the literal sense, too: organic cotton , bamboo  and silk are so lusciously soft, they’re almost like a lover’s caress. For Jane and Matt’s ‘URBAN ZEN’ TRIBECA LOFT I used bamboo bedding, Gaiam’s organic cotton Fireside blanket  and an upholstered headboard from mgandbw.com .
2. Low-wattage lighting that adds personality to a space. I adore antique chandeliers, and there are many other eco-smart lighting options  that can imbue a sexy atmosphere. For your bedroom, always choose dimmable lighting — both to save energy and create a mood. Today’s lower-light-temperature compact fluorescent lightbulbs cast a warm, soft light  (not that harsh, blue, alien light you might associate with fluorescents), and dimmable 3-way CFLs  are also readily available. Candles are must-haves too — such an easy way to make a space feel intimate. Choose nontoxic soy or beeswax candles  because the soot in conventional candles can really smoke out a romantic moment. And use non-cloying scents, please — you’re going for sensual, not sensory overload.
My own BOHEME GREEN DREAM ROOM: antique furnishings including canopied bed, vintage Morrocan light fixture
3. Antiques. Furnishing a bedroom with something old is the ultimate in green decorating, since, may I point out, “virgin” doesn’t hold the same allure in wood as it does in a damsel. Reclaimed, refinished, distressed, weathered … by any other name, antiques have a way of infusing a comforting energy into a room. And you don’t have to go to a pricey antique store; I found my beloved ‘wabi sabi’ corner table on the street! In fact, I was running to a date all dressed up when I saw it; I had to lug this beaten-up (in just the right way) stool with me on the date and back to my apartment. It was love at first site — with the table, if not my date. The stool plays a key supporting role in my own BOHEME GREEN DREAM ROOM, a.k.a. the sexy eco love nest I gushed about above … which is filled with all-antique furniture including a canopied bed draped with lots of various fabrics.
Candles join a jade plant and Kwan Yin (compassion) statue atop my famous reclaimed ‘wabi sabi’ stool
4. A soulful soundtrack. I have a ’sexy groovy’ playlist on my iPod, so my sound dock (behind three beautiful potted plants) makes my space come alive with good vibes.
5. Some sexy lingerie in natural, eco-friendly fabrics , of course — as well as organic super-natural massage lotions (and lubricant) . Share the love! A silk nightgown and robe  is a natural-fabric option that’s relatively non-racy yet feels pretty darn sexy compared to flannel.
Connect with Cheryl at VitalDesignLTD.com 
Article printed from Gaiam Blog: http://blog.gaiam.com
URL to article: http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/5-transforming-elements-of-a-sexy-eco-bedroom/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=ikoB54HG8Ag&offerid=127265.10003833&type=3&subid=0
 eco-friendly bedding in luscious colors: http://www.gaiam.com/category/eco-home-outdoor/bedroom.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 organic cotton: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/How-Eco-Is-Organic-Cotton-The-Facts-on-7-Questions.html
 bamboo: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/How-EcoFriendly-Is-Bamboo.html
 organic cotton Fireside blanket: http://www.gaiam.com/product/organic+cotton+fireside+throw.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 mgandbw.com: http://www.mgandbw.com
 eco-smart lighting options: http://www.gaiam.com/category/eco-home-outdoor/lighting.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 lower-light-temperature compact fluorescent lightbulbs cast a warm, soft light: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/EnergySaving-Light-Bulbs-QA.html#CFL_blue_light
 dimmable 3-way CFLs: http://www.gaiam.com/product/natural+spectrum+compact+fluorescent+3+way+b.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 nontoxic soy or beeswax candles: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/natural-soy-candles-460208
 sexy lingerie in natural, eco-friendly fabrics: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/sexy-green-eco-lingerie-46012208
 organic super-natural massage lotions (and lubricant): http://www.futurenatural.com/page389878.html
 silk nightgown and robe: http://www.gaiam.com/product/chantal+spaghetti+strap+gown.do?SID=WG107SPRTAPEMACS
 VitalDesignLTD.com: http://www.vitaldesignltd.com/
Copyright © 2007 Gaiam Community Blog. All rights reserved.