It is also a perfect time to detox your home environment. We spend much of our time indoors with our windows closed, so it is even more important to be mindful of healthy air quality. Consider this: The average home contains 500-1,000 chemicals resulting in indoor air quality that is two to five times more polluted than outdoor air. Yikes!
Here are nine easy ways that you can detox your home, so you and your family and enjoy a healthier spring:
1. One of the easiest things to do is remove your shoes when entering your home. And besides, everyone loves indulging their feet with some cozy warm slippers.
2. Open a window often, even if it’s just a crack, to allow fresh air exchange. Every morning I open wide my kitchen window as a wake-up-feel-alive exercise, deeply breathing in the cool spring air.
4. Buy only natural carpeting products, furnishings and bedding, and use only nontoxic paints and finishes. This is my area of expertise: You no longer need to sacrifice beauty in order to purchase environmentally friendly furnishings — the choices are now abundant (yay!).
5. Get some living plants. Plants not only create oxygen, they remove chemicals. A great book is How to Grow Fresh Air.
6. Be aware of all plastics entering your home, from dry cleaning bags (really bad stuff) to various food containers.
7. Check out all the ingredients in your personal care and beauty products for any hidden creepy culprits you may unknowingly be applying directly to your largest organ — your skin.
8. Reduce unwanted mail and catalog clutter as well as unsolicited telephone intrusions.
Here’s to a lighter, healthier home!