by The FIRM Master Instructor Jennifer Ray
I think we can all agree on one thing: Life is busy. With that said, who has time to exercise?
I’m not here to scold, because we are all guilty of making excuses as to why we don’t have time to exercise. And I’m not saying these excuses aren’t often legitimate either — sometimes there really aren’t enough hours in the day! What I am here to do is offer easy solutions to a problem that faces us all.
On a recent trip to the beach with my family, I discovered a fun yet challenging way to get a little exercise in while on vacation. We were staying in a condo on the twelfth floor. I thought it would be a cute idea to tell the kids that once a day we would have to take the stairs back up to the condo for our daily exercise. The first trip up was met with much opposition from my 6- and 9-year-old, but then to my amazement, they wanted to go up every time. Yes, I said every time! I admit that I was secretly ecstatic and jumping for joy. While we enjoyed the beach and got to relax, we also got good bit of exercise during the weekend we were away from home. Enough exercise that when I came back and had my Monday training session at 11 a.m. my legs were tired. What a great feeling!
My full-time job is as a personal trainer. I also teach a few classes each week depending on my availability. There are a lot of days when I don’t have the time to get in any type of workout for myself, believe it or not. But I have figured out I can use my ten-minute windows between clients to get a little exercise in here and there. I use that time to get a set of 20 body-weight squats, a set of 10 push-ups and a set of 20 crunches. I don’t have time to do this between every client, but I do it when I get the opportunity!
These little bits of exercise throughout the day will give you lots of extra energy. A little bit of effort can go a long way!
Here is my no more excuses list of ways to incorporate exercise into the days when you just don’t have time for a formal workout. What else can you add?
1. Take the stairs whenever possible.
2. Go for 100 body-weight squats each day. Break it up over the course of your day.
3. Shoot for 50 push-ups over the course of your day by doing 5-10 at a time.
4. Do 30 seconds of jumping jacks before you go on your lunch break. How many can you get in?
5. Do walking lunges every other time you walk down a hallway.
6. Save 10 minutes to walk on your lunch break with a co-worker or by yourself.
7. Put on your favorite music and dance a little in the kitchen while preparing dinner.
8. Park in the back of the parking lot. Farther to walk means more daily steps. Your goal is 10,000 steps a day!
9. Do wall-sits while you brush your teeth.
10. Pop in one of my 10-minute express workouts on the Kick Start Your Metabolism DVD from The FIRM Express system!
Work out with Jennifer and the rest of The FIRM team on GaiamTV.com!